Friday, April 16, 2010

The Beginning - Background

OK so I am a hard core PC user and have been since the very first GUI for Intel based PC's, the excellent GEM system.

I run a fine art digital printmaking business, we have four large format printers which are mostly driven by Windows XP, Vista and 7 systems. We use Photoshop extensively again on Windows based machines, Core duo and Core i7 systems. In the studio we also have an Intel based iMac (Leopard) and an older Mac running system 9 (which we have to run so that we can still run our SCSI based scanner).

My personal computer is (was) an HP Core i7 with 6 Gbytes of RAM and my laptop an older Sony Vaio (VGN-CR220E - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz with 4 Gbytes of RAM).

So… I decided about a month ago that we needed a new computer in the studio so I decided to keep my Sony Vaio to run accounts and stuff and get a Macbook Pro as my “main” computer to run Photoshop and print from. I knew that a new model was imminent so I waited and on the very day they announced the new models I rushed down to the excellent Apple store in Delaware and purchased a brand new shiny MacBook Pro 15” Core i5 model. As we work pretty much exclusively with artists I could only afford the $1,799 model, which, incidentally, is probably twice what I could have bought the equivalend Windows based laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment